At Beija Flor we love a good Christmas tree and what could be a better end to 2018 than decorating the 10ft Christmas tree at Government House in Darwin.
We’ve put together a few of our favourite tree decorating tips:
- Chose a theme, (but don’t stick to it too closely). In keeping with the heritage surroundings of Government House, a traditional festive theme was chosen for this years tree using a colour palette of red, gold, green and white.
- Fluff and shape the tree, we all want to get to the fun bit but don’t be tempted to rush this step as it’s crucial to a well balanced tree shape.
- Add lights, ensuring an even distribution along each branch, we chose a warm white for this traditional tree and used 2400 led lights, we prefer the static setting.
- Select decorations of different shapes and sizes, a 10ft tree like this one can accommodate giant globe like baubles, along with smaller ornaments and finials suspended from the branches. Work in layers hanging larger baubles towards the centre of the tree and smaller ornaments at the tips.
- Layer on the textures, we chose rich velvet accents, jewelled poinsettias, and delicate glass baubles. We also added natural and glittered pine cones nestled on the branches, along with bundles of real cinnamon for fragrance.
- Lastly, add an element of surprise to enchant and delight your guests (especially the younger ones!) .
We wish Her Honour the Honourable Vicki O’Halloran AM, Administrator of the Northern Territory and family a very Happy Christmas and New Year.